Installing a VPN gives an edge to your internet functionality even if you are not a frequent user of public networks and use it mostly through your private connection. Privacy and security are the sought-after traits of one’s lifestyle, which a VPN provides. Protecting your data from hackers to bypassing regional restrictions on internet use, free browsing from different localities to connecting all your in-use devices via the convenience of your Wi-Fi connection are some of the major benefits.
For setting up a VPN router, you do not have to go through any lengthy measures. With the right tools and knowledge, setting up a VPN router is a simple task. The two major steps are a selection of a VPN router and a VPN provider. The rest are easy guidelines for anyone to follow.
Reasons to Invest in VPN router
Where downloadable and browser VPN services need to be checked in every time you use a device, a VPN router has simple demands in this area. You do not need to log in to an already running VPN service connected to your computer router. The process is continuous and smooth at any time of the day. A router equipped with VPN accommodates many devices at a time. There is no requirement of individual login by each of them. An already running VPN once logged in, covers all the devices which are connected to the VPN router. As all the devices benefit from the VPN services via the router, maximum security and privacy are attained. Make sure your Wi-Fi service is up-to-grade with high internet speed.
Prerequisites to purchasing a VPN router
Investing in a compatible and attuned VPN router makes the task of setting it up a simple one. It is imperative for the smooth working of the VPN services. It maximizes the privacy of the functional data of all the devices connected to it. Almost all routers come with a manual. Read it carefully or get help from the company’s representative. Alternatively, search it on the internet. Preinstalled VPN routers are the preferred choice. However, not all routers are equipped with it or they may not have the ability to run your specific VPN services. For example, an ISP modem requires an additional secondary router to run the VPN services.
Some of the preferred selections include:
- Pre-flashed VPN routers
- VPN-Compatible routers
- Install present router with new firmware as DD-WRT AND Tomato
Basics of a VPN service
The two main aspects of a VPN service provider are its
- Quality of online support
The VPN service should be efficient enough to handle all kinds of internet traffic; streaming, browsing, games, downloading etc.
Either make a choice among the already researched VPN service providers or do some homework on your own.
You must know:
- The server location of the VPN service provider
- It's speed
- Log maintenance procedures
- Any online tutorials by the service provider
How to set up a VPN router
For this purpose, the steps to setting up ExpressVPN service are mentioned. The ExpressVPN service works with all kinds of internet service providers. It works with selected router models. It is easy to use this service by following the steps on its website. It streamlines your VPN connection via selecting the optimal protocol for your setup.
#1 Download the Express VPN firmware via their app.
- Create an account on it.
- After making an account, click ‘See all devices’
- Click on the ‘Router’ on the Setup page
- Open another tab and copy paste your activation code there
- Select the router model and download the firmware.
#2 Connect your router
- For ExpressVPN services, you will require two routers and an internet connection. Once the primary router is connected, access to all the devices is enabled and they can run the VPN software via the secondary router.
- Insert an Ethernet cable into the LAN port of the primary router and plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port of the secondary router.
- The primary router needs to connect with the computer. For this, take another Ethernet cable and connect the LAN ports of the router and the computer together.
- In case of a wireless router, make sure to connect the primary router to the internet.
#3 Flash your router
ExpressVPN supports many routers. Some require manual VPN setups while others have inbuilt support systems to work through. For description purposes, ASUS routers Asus RT-AC68U, RT-AC87U, RT-AC56R, and RT-AC56U will be taken up.
• Turn your router on
• Connect it to your computer via cable or the network name
• Enter the dashboard of the ASUS router
• For first time users, enter ‘Admin' followed by a selection of a password
• Create a password for SSID (Service Set Identifier), follow ‘Apply’ and ‘Complete’
• You will find yourself on the router admin dashboard
• Click on ‘Administration’
• Click on the ‘Firmware Upgrade', select the downloaded firmware. If it matches your router model it will proceed otherwise you will receive ‘Firmware file is invalid’
• ‘Upload’ the firmware
• After the process is complete, you will receive a notification ‘Router update is complete’
• Re-plug your Ethernet into your router Wi-Fi if required
• Visit expressvpnrouter.com using Admin as username and password, log in to the account
• Use the activation code from the Express VPN setup page noted earlier and click on ‘Activate’
In case of changing the server location
• Disconnect your VPN form the internet
• Click ‘Select another location’
Managing multiple devices
• Open VPN tab and select ‘VPN options’
• Look for ‘Recently connected devices’
• Select the devices to be connected to your VPN
To change default SSID password
• Go to ExpressVPN Help and Support
• Select Wi-Fi name, Wi-Fi password, and Router Dashboard Credentials and get help
The selection of a VPN service and the compatible VPN service are therefore the most crucial steps. Select the up-to-date gadgets and gear it up with the latest services for convenient and secure usage of the internet.